The vanity is a world in itself!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

NYX Single Eye shadows and Jumbo Eye shadow Pencils

YAY! there might be rain at my apartment! I'm so excited! So today instead of being tempted by a blog post i'm going to do one before I start looking for annotated bibliography things (you gotta love grad school)! This post is about one of my favorite drugstore brands! (for those of you new to the vanity i'm starting out this blog by talking about drugstore products!) NYX!!!! okay, so NYX is available in weird places, so far i've never seen it in a walgreens, sometimes its at walmart, and depending on the size of your HEB (i'm lookin' at you fellow Texans) you may have some NYX, no NYX, or an entire NYX section. I wish they could be a brand like Revlon thats in every store! Okay, so here's the deal NYX makes the best eyeshadows for drugstore brands as far as pigment goes. These are usually MAC dupes and they're super cheap and awesome! Depending on the shadow finish the texture can be a little more rough Mattes are not as smooth and buttery as the more shimmery shadows(NYX black is a more chalky texture but you only need to gently dip your brush into it to get the color you need). The smoothest of all the colors I own is Deep Charcoal, that one is also way more pigmented than any color I own be it MAC or not! wow, that one is impressive. for the most part most of these have a great texture and the pigments range from neutral to absolutely wild! These also come in a pearl formula that I forgot to document! I knew I was forgetting something! anyways here are some swatches.

so I'm really bad with trying to insert text boxes in Paint so ignore the attempt at putting the swatch names on the image itself.

Left to Right:
Top Row: Nude, Iced Mocha, Rootbeer, Dolly Pink.
Middle Row: Deep Charcoal, Black, Spring Leaf, Lime Green, Green Tea
Bottom Row: NYX jombo eyeshadow pencils: milk, Black Bean, French Fries.
without flash:

With flash:

Now the NYX Jumbo Eyeshadown Pencils are phenomenal! They are super super creamy and can be used either underneath your shadow to make a color pop or you can use it as a cream shadow. you always want to draw a small line on your lid and then blend these out lightly with your finger. I LOVE NYX milk underneath any shadow, it makes the color more true and helps it stay better if you dont own any primer. or even with primer it helps. make sure to not have a concentrated amount drawn on your crease or these will crease. I recommend blending up and getting lighter as you get closer to your crease. These stay on for a very long time and if you blend them out they won't budge. Benefit makes my favorite cream shadow but if you're looking for a nice alternative to powder shadows or to MAC paint pots I would suggest these. I think both the single shadows and the pencils are around 3 dollars.
side note! the green are from the trio 08!

more pics:



as always thank you for reading and i'll try and put up pictures of the NYX loose pearl pigments in Charcoal and Mink soon!
Disclaimer: I do not work for any makeup company, NYX is not paying me for reviewing their product, and I bought everything with my own money!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen these way up here in Maine, but I may have to check out our local Walgreens to see if they have it.
    So, I'm ready to learn about some eyeliners if you have those on your radar... also, maybe some how-to's on make-up in the future?
    Just some ideas ...as always, love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going to do eyeliners today!!! Im wearing a really great physicians formula one right now that I love! be on the lookout! You'll have to keep a lookout for NYX! do you have an Ulta in Maine?????

    ReplyDelete