The vanity is a world in itself!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tarte for Trueblood Limited Edition Eyeshadow palette!

hey yall!
so for those of you who know me know that i am completely obsessed with trueblood and that my favorite color is black. This color palette usually doesn't come through in my everyday wear...but it is truely my favorite color! Okay, so i admit, i'm more of a fan of the book series than the show because it really highlights Sookie's life not only as a woman who gets sucked into the supernatural but also the slow life of a woman who lives by herself in the south. I love southern accents, sweet tea, and I live by myself....coincidence? I think not, me and sook were meant to be besties. anyways yall probably want to hear about tarte so i guess i'll have to appease you.
This is hands down the most awesome makeup thing i've ever owned! I was completely floored when i found out there was a trueblood palette and completely overjoyed when i heard Tarte made it! I freakin love tarte, i check the QVC guide for when tarte's going to be on....just a little fyi about my creeper nature...They have such great products! first off their products are made without: parabens, mineral oil, pthlates, sodium lauryl sulfate, and synthetic fragrance. AND they're cruelty free!!!!! whats not to love! okay, thats good enough but they also use amazonian clay in many of their products that soaks up oil and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
This was $52 US dollars and is valued at over $300. So worth it. Here's the lowdown. lets start with the packaging.

Packaging:

Some people would call this "tacky" but I call it awesome. The box looks like a corset with red peepong out and laces going across! EEP! it's so cool! It feels like something that would be sitting in fangtasia! The box is HUGE, it's really sturdy, and the magnetic lid holds awesomely and the little drawer is very sturdy. The box does not look cheap at all and it has real elastic string and metal rivets. hell yes. The shadows are not loose inside the packaging at all and theres even a huge mirror and printed inside. so cool!

Shadows:


OHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHH! the shadows....the shadows are so amazing! the are each 2 grams! 2 grams!!! thats bigger than a MAC single shadow pan!!! and you get 17 shadows!!!! MAC shadows are 14 bucks each and Tarte single shadows ( i dont think they sell them single anymore) were 17 bucks a pop. This is a really great value for how much you get. The shadows come with a film over them that says all of the names and each shadow has the tarte embossing on them <3 They're actually grouped in diamonds to help take the guesswork out of which shadows go best with one another! This comes with 2 highlight shades (or you can use them as super neutrals) : The Light (creamy beige), and Fairy (baby pink) these two are both shimmery (not glittery). the rest of the shadows are: Duck (Matte taupe), Dawn (shimmer light gold), Werewolf (Matte chocolate brown!), Waitress (glittery pink champagne!), Nocturnal (black base with blue shimmers (not glitter)!), Charmer (shimmer somewhere between pink and bronze), Glamour me (shimmer, deep plaum purple), Stake (treue Matte grey), Bayou (shimmery gold), Telepath (glitter, dusty rose), The True Death (shimmer Silver), Immortal (black with shimmer), Moss (shimmer, emerald green), Legend (Matte black), and lastly "V" (shimmer, red based purple). Here's a pic of the names on the film:



I simply cannot tell you how much i love that these have trueblood inspired names! The actually head of makeup from trueblood worked with tarte to develop these colors, that is so impressive and special! These are also really really wearable! They did such a good job of putting both neautrals and darks in this palette :D. I also really love that they could go for any season really but they pull more towards fall. Telepath in the spring time would be gorgeous however! I absolutely love the texture of the mattes, theyre really buttery and nice to put on! A word of caution containing Waitress and Telepath...these are very glittery and the glitter will go everywhere, just an fyi, make sure you're prepared for fallout. The lady who works for tarte said its best to pat these onto the eyelids but they look great patting or swiping. These are really pigmented and you just need a little bit of color to go a long way (especially with the dark colors). I never wear shadows without a primer but ive heard that these dont look as stunning without primer, so just keep that in mind. For the colorful shadows I would probably put down a white base so that the colors come out more true because these can get muddy if you have a medium-dark skintone. I would suggest my handy NYX milk! Look at NYX post for the deets on how to use it. anyways heres some pictures of my look from yesterday (sorry if its dark!) and today!

yesterday:
Using Telepath on the lid, werewolf in the crease, and a smidge of glamous me on the very outside corners. Used Fairy as a highlight.

Today!:
Waitress on the lid, Stake in the crease, and The Light as my highlight

and another view. This is me trying to "glamour" you....


aren't they lovely! werewolf and stake look scary but you can totally make them wearable!

look at what else they provide you with!
Its a booklet! It has 4 different looks on the inside and all the color names/product information on the back!





I plan to do a new look every day with this palette and i'll do a new post to give you a better idea of what looks you can do and what these look like on the lids. I probably will not go with the looks in the booklet but i will be more than happy to do the looks if requested.

Now theres an awesome perk to this palette and its the drawer!
The cleverest of things "open after dark"

inside is:


there is a full sized EmphasEYES aqua-gel eyeliner, a Mini "lights cameras, lashes", and a mini "lifted" natural eye primer inside.
I love the liner, it is made with 50% water and is so soft! It also has a cooling effect on the skin when you put it on! the water absorbs into your skin and then you're left with a pretty budge-proof line! its AMAZINGLY BLACK! i've never seen a darker black! and it glides on so smooth! The problem is that its so smooth that it falls apart if you twist it up too much and you also use it up very quickly. The quality is amazing and it lasts a good while. It is not waterproof, however, so don't wear it to a wedding or funeral if you're a crier. I'm wearing the liner in all of my pictures.
heres a pic:


The mascara is a cult favorite of many people and I can see why! it really gets ever lash! there are no clumps! and it feels literally like you'r not wearing mascara!!!! its so soft! this doesn't flake, doesn't come off onto your cheek, and it really does get every lash. The downside to this however is that it doesn't lengthen and if you like false-looking lashes you wont get it with this. this looks very natural. I'm wearing the mascara in all of my pictures.


and heres a pic of the really cute packaging!


I have yet to try the primer because i'm saving it for my trip to North Carolina when I see my honey! But heres a pic!:



One thing I really love about the drawer is that the red lining comes out and you can store your other goods in there! Long brushes and bulky packaging dont fit but all of my sephora travel brushes do!!! which is so awesome! If only my eyelash curler fit...oh well, at least it's not like other drawers that dont allow you to be so versitile.

Pretty much this is the best palette i've ever owned and for the best value! I feel like a fool for buying the Too Faced palette because there are way less shadows and none of them are even close to being this huge and such a good quality!
thank you for reading, look for my "look a day True Blood shadows" posts in the very very very near future! <3
seriously, if you're a fan of the show or just really love great sahdows at a great deal go snatch one up...i love mine!

Reminder:
I do not work for any makeup company, am not getting paid to review, and bought this with my own money.

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to get one today! Your review convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEPPPP!!!! so excited! Let me know how you like it! I am super duper in love with it (as you can tell....) Thanks for reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! I never buy makeup from anywhere but Walmart, so this is my first grown-up makeup purchase! I'm really amazed at the difference in quality; it actually makes me WANT to wear eyeshadow! I'm still trying to get the hang of the brushes, though (idk if I'm using the right one!) and I totally suck at blending the colors, so I'll be reading your posts for tips! Thanks for reviewing it, I never would have bought it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like the shadows! I'm really a big fan of tarte because they really care about what you put on your face, the quality of their products, and they don't ever try and cheat you like other companies. they are near and dear to my heart. What kind of brushes are you using??? I should do a post of the brushes I use! Its kind of hard getting the hang of brushes so if there's anything specific you need help on just let me know girl. I'm so excited for you and you're eyeshadows! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only eye shadow brush I have is small and flat at the ends... I don't even know if it's for eye shadow! It does the job though, better than those other applicators that look like q-tips.

    Also, I used the "Vampy Vixen" look last night at a bar and got sooo many free drinks! :)

    (sorry, new account, this is still krouse!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. free drinks!!!!!!! thats so awesome!!!! :D I actually used the silver shadow last night too!!! Have you tried the liner?? I love how black it is but i hate how quickly it gets used up :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using the liner for special occasions, ad it's awesome! I love how it goes on easily; I feel like my other liners have to be pressed down hard. I'm so worried about using it up! I'd totally buy it again though!

    ReplyDelete